SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Today, the California Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus has announced its support for Phil Ting’s campaign for California State Assembly. This important endorsement mounts Ting as the leading choice of the state’s API leadership.
“Phil Ting’s background in job creation through increased trade with Asia and smart economic incentive programs, along with his deep commitment to quality education at all levels, make him the best choice for the Asian community, his district and the entire state,” said Assemblymember Warren Furutani, Chair of the API Legislative Caucus. “The API caucus is proud to join his broad coalition of supporters.”
Betty Yee, State Board of Equalization Member and honorary API caucus member, Assemblymembers Warren Furutani, Mike Eng, Paul Fong, State Senator Ted Lieu and scores of other API community leaders in San Francisco have all added their names to Ting’s list of early endorsers. You can see the growing list at www.PhilTing.com.
“I’m so proud to have the early support of the Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus and key leaders in the API community,” San Francisco Assessor-Recorder Phil Ting said. “As the former Executive Director of the Asian Law Caucus, I understand how important it is to ensure that our community has greater representation in local and state government. And as a member of the Assembly, I will actively work to engage members of the API community to participate in the conversation and to make sure their voices and concerns are heard in Sacramento.”
Phil Ting said, “The answer to our state’s budget woes is to grow the economy. As the Chair of ChinaSF, I helped attract over a dozen new companies to San Francisco and helped create over 150 local jobs through an innovative partnership with Chinese companies. In Sacramento, I’ll fight for smarter economic policies, better schools and a state government that actually listens to all of us.”
Read more about Phil Ting’s campaign at: www.PhilTing.com
About the Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus: The California Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus represents and advocates for the interests of the diverse API communities throughout California. It seeks to increase Asian Pacific Islander participation and representation in all levels of government.
Amongst its goals, the Caucus seeks to:
• Increase API representation in all levels of government, including statewide appointments and statewide elected offices.
• Ensure the API community has equal access to education, social services, health, mental health, and other government programs and services.
• Preserve safety net health, mental health, and social service programs that serve the API community.
• Ensure language access and culturally competent services in government programs.
• Strengthen protections against hate crimes and defend the civil rights and liberties of APIs.
• Fight racial stereotypes and negative portrayals of APIs in the media.
• Promote greater civic participation and knowledge about major policy issues among API communities.
• Build common interest and communications among the various API communities.