Pioneer civil rights heroes, as well as their descendants, to attend in person
Event features emcee Danny Glover, American Idol star Jasmine Trias
San Francisco, CA – Sixteen civil rights heroes will be honored on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at the Fred Korematsu Day Heroes Celebration. Sponsored by the Korematsu Institute, the event will take place before an audience of up to 900 people at San Francisco’s Herbst Theatre. The historic gathering will bring together the following Asian American and Pacific Islander honorees for the first time in history:
- Fred Korematsu: US Supreme Court plaintiff who challenged the WWII internment of Japanese Americans. Karen Korematsu will represent her father at the event.
- Grace Lee Boggs: Chinese American grassroots activist for pan-ethnic social justice movements. Unfortunately, Ms. Boggs is unable to attend the event.
- Mitsuye Endo: US Supreme Court plaintiff who challenged the WWII incarceration of Japanese Americans. Wayne Tsutsumi and Wendy Weiner will represent their mother at the event.
- Filipino World War II Veterans: Filipino soldiers who fought for the US against Japanese forces during WWII but were later denied US military benefits. Veteran Alberto Saldajeno will represent this honoree group at the event.
- Gordon Hirabayashi: US Supreme Court plaintiff who challenged the WWII incarceration of Japanese Americans. Jay Hirabayashi will represent his father at the event.
- Internment Dissenters: “No Nos,” draft resisters, and renunciants who challenged the WWII incarceration and mistreatment of Japanese Americans. “No-No” Hiroshi Kashiwagi will represent this honoree group at the event.
- Larry Itliong: Filipino American organizer and coalition builder in California’s farm labor movement. Johnny Itliong will represent his father at the event.
- Japanese American World War II Veterans: Soldiers who fought bravely in segregated WWII military units in the face of racism at home. Veteran Asa Hanamoto will represent this honoree group at the event.
- Yuri Kochiyama: Japanese American grassroots activist for pan-ethnic social justice movements. Audee Kochiyama Holman will represent her mother at the event.
- Queen Lili’uokalani: Last reigning monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii and advocate for Hawaiian sovereignty. Unfortunately, relatives of the Queen are unable to attend the event.
- Dollar Store Strikers: Women labor activists who launched one of the longest-running strikes in San Francisco’s Chinatown’s history. Mervyn Lee, son of striker Sue Koh Lee, will represent this honoree group at the event.
- Mamie Tape: Chinese American child plaintiff in landmark case reinforcing equal access to education. Alisa Kim will represent her aunt at the event.
- Bhagat Singh Thind: Sikh American plaintiff in US Supreme Court case examining race-based citizenship. David Bhagat Thind will represent his father at the event.
- Philip Vera Cruz: Filipino American founding member of the United Farm Workers and defender of workers’ rights. Fernando Gapasin will represent his uncle at the event.
- Wong Kim Ark: Chinese American plaintiff in US Supreme Court case affirming birthright citizenship. Unfortunately, the Wong family has not confirmed if they plan to attend the event.
- Min Yasui: US Supreme Court plaintiff who challenged the WWII incarceration of Japanese Americans. Serena Hawkins-Schletzbaum and Chani Hawkins-Walker will represent their grandfather at the event.
- When: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 1:00pm VIP reception with honorees, 2:30-4:30pm program
- Where: Herbst Theatre, 401 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102
- What: The Korematsu Institute celebrates Fred Korematsu Day 2013 by honoring 16 American civil rights heroes who’ve been long overlooked. This will be a historic gathering of civil rights heroes and the descendants of heroes who have passed on. The event also features celebrity emcee Danny Glover, as well as a special performance by American Idol star Jasmine Trias.
- Tickets: Available for purchase at http://bit.ly/
- $100 VIP reception with honorees + program admission
- $25 program general admission
- $10 senior (65+)/student/youth (under 18) admission
- If you are a Filipino WWII veteran, Japanese American WWII veteran, Internment Dissenter, or Dollar Store Striker wishing to attend, please call us to request complimentary tickets.
- More info: Call 415-848-7737
- Web site: FredKorematsuDayHeroes.org
MEDIA CO-SPONSORS: Angry Asian Man, APEX Express, KPFA 94.1FM, AsianWeek Foundation, Diya TV, Japanese City, KAXT Channel 1, Nichi Bei Weekly, Philippine News, Radio Campesina, Rafu Shimpo