SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Bindlestiff Studio congratulates The Bakla Show 3, recipient of a $5,000 Horizons Foundation grant. The Horizons Foundation awards non-profits around the Bay Area to strengthen and support their programs and services benefiting the LGBTQ community. Bindlestiff Studio is immensely proud to be working with one of the grantees.
The Bakla Show 3 is slated to premiere in June 2014. It is the third installment of a beloved, award-winning production series, The Bakla Show, created in 2006 to begin a new movement to reclaim the term ‘bakla’ (the Tagalog word for “gay”) and to be inclusive of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer F/Pilipin@ identities.
The Bakla Show 3 will focus on “youth” as its theme, exploring the textured and multidimensional experiences of LGBTQ/GNC F/Pilipin@ youth struggles, hardships and turmoil, bringing to the forefront the celebrations, joy and love.
Thanks to this generous grant, The Bakla Show 3 will be able to produce a printed anthology to accompany the live theatrical production. The companion anthology will be printed by Glover Lane Press and will include material from the show as well as additional poetry, prose, and visual arts.
Submissions for the show and the anthology are currently being accepted through December 31, 2013.
- Email submissions to email@example.com with Subject Line: “BAKLA SHOW 3 Submission: TITLE_Last Name, First Name.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 PM PST on December 31, 2013.
- Documents should be in Microsoft Word (.doc or.docx) or PDF formats. Please format your document legibly (standard margins, legible font like Helvetica or Times New Roman). Please be sure to include your last name and page number at the footer of each page.
- Artwork should be emailed as low-resolution files.
- Submissions can be poetry, prose or visual art.
- Submissions must be focused on the theme of ‘LGTBQ/GNC F/PILIPIN@ YOUTH EXPERIENCES’. Though we encourage youth to submit, older adults are also welcome.
- Submissions may be under consideration elsewhere, but please notify us immediately if your story is accepted for publication. The Bakla Show retains first publication rights and the right to publish a portion of the story on its website. All rights revert to the author upon The Bakla Show 3’s entrance into post-production.
- You agree to have your entry to The Bakla Show 3 for use in promotional purposes.
All submissions must include a cover letter or video introduction (upload to YouTube with ‘The Bakla Show 3 Video Introduction’ in your video’s title and email us link) that provides:
1. Name, contact details and any pertinent biological information of the participant.
2. Include a brief publication history for the piece you are submitting.
3. Why you want to be chosen to be produced in The Bakla Show 3.
4. Why you believe your particular submission is important for inclusion in The Bakla Show 3.
5. Why such a project is important to you and your communities.
For more details about submission guidelines, please visit: